The 36th Annual Loerie Awards took place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 September 2014 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.
The Loeries is an annual recognition of the best work produced in the brand communication industry in our region – including the whole of Africa and the Middle East.
The awards were judged by over 140 local and international experts in their fields, including four international jury chairman from Hamburg, Melbourne, New York City and San Francisco, as well as regional judges from Accra, Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam.
A total of 256 awards were handed out in the main categories, with the winners being broken down as follows:
|Prof non-craft entries||1453|
|Prof craft entries||739|
This year, a total of four Grands Prix were awarded. They were:
- Grid Worldwide Branding (Pty) Ltd for Anti Est “Anti Est #Unlearn”, in Design Mixed-Media Campaign.
- One Kingdom Creative Studio for Mi-Fone “Oju Africa App”, in Digital & Interactive – Mobile Applications & Sites
- FCB South Africa (PTY) LTD for Coco-Cola South Africa “A rainbow for the Rainbow Nation”, in Outdoor Media.
- Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg for Lucozade “Give me strength”.
Effective Creativity Award
Introduced in 2013, the Effective Creativity category, sponsored by Woolworths, allows previous Loerie winning entries to be measured for effective business results. Two Gold Loeries were awarded: To Ster Kinekor and FoxP2 for “Great moments at their Greatest”; and Johnnie Walker and the King James Group for “Johnnie Walker One Bottle.”
Africa & Middle East
In the categories for entries from outside of South Africa three Gold, seven silver and six bronze Loeries were awarded.
Three Golds went to:
- Communication Design: Abdul Latif Jameel Community Initiatives “Unsung Heroes”, by Brand Union (United Arab Emirates).
- Ubuntu Award: Unilever’s “Sunlight Ray of Hope” by Jericho Advertising (Zimbabwe).
- Radio Communication: Sawa Mninjah and Geometry Global Dubai (United Arab Emirates) for “Rescue Radio.”
Loeries Hall of Fame – Keith Rose
Keith Rose, director and founding partner of Velocity, was inducted into the Loeries Hall of Fame, for his outstanding contribution to the industry.
Marketing Leadership and Innovation Award – Claudia Walters
Claudia Walters, Marketing Communications Manager of Mercedes-Benz, was honoured with the Marketing Leadership and Innovation Award.
Adams & Adams Young Creatives Award
The award, for exceptional achievement at the age of 27 or younger, went to Matthew Pullen and Freda Raubenheimer. They each received a Gold Loerie and a trip to the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, courtesy of Adams & Adams.
Antalis Creative Use of Paper Award
The winner of the 2014 Antalis Creative Use of Paper Award is the Johannesburg Zoo and Y&R South Africa for “See what comes out in the dark”. The award includes two Apple iPads for the creative team.
The Times Newspaper Award
The Times Newspaper Award went to One School at a Time and Joe Public for “Project English.” As part of the prize, Joe Public secures next year’s campaign for the Times Creative Press Ad challenge, valued at R160 000.
Unilever Ubuntu Award for Sustainable Marketing
The Unilever Ubuntu Award for Sustainable Marketing honours brand campaigns that do good while doing good business. A Gold Loerie was awarded to Exclusive Books and 140 BBDO for the Exclusive S.E.E.D Library.
Loeries Creative Future Scholarship
This year the scholarship was awarded to Banzi Kasana of SACS High School in Cape Town. For the first time this year, additional bursaries were offered by Vega School of Brand Leadership and the Red & Yellow School allowing two more students to benefit from the programme. Recipients of these bursaries are Ida Janine van Staden from Parklands College and Chiquita Williams from PJ Olivier Art Centre in Stellenbosch.
This year four Gold Loeries were awarded:
- Emijl de Kock, Leigh Pietersen, Emma Philip, Sanri Pienaar from AAA School of Advertising Cape Town for National Geographic -“Almanac of Extremely Average Animals”.
- Jodia Steenkamp from Stellenbosch Academy of Design and Photography for Expose-“Calendar”.
- Shana Sivewright AD, Melissa Fontini CW from AAA School of Advertising Cape Town for “Recollection”.
- Frané Els from the North-West University for “Ubuzu”.
Three Craft Gold Loeries were awarded:
- For Print & Design Crafts- Illustration, Karabo Moletsane from the Open Window School of Visual Communication for Sho’t Left, titled “Sho’t Left a zine”.
- For Print & Design Crafts- Typography, Almari Carosini from North-West University for Pylon Typeface, titled “Pylon Typeface”.
- For TV; Film & Video Crafts, Frané Els from the North-West University for Ubuzu titled “Ubuzu”
All the winners will be listed on the Loeries website (www.loeries.com) from Monday, 22 September.
Loeries Official Rankings
The Loeries Official Rankings provides a thorough and fair process to accurately report on the results of the awards. Rankings tables for agency, brand, digital agency, Film Production Company, category, agency size, countries outside South Africa, Creative Circle agency groups and individual agencies will be released post the awards weekend and once all winners have had the opportunity to check and revise credits. More information is available on loeries.com.
Follow the Loeries on twitter @loeries
The major partners of the 2014 Loeries are DStv Media Sales, the City of
Cape Town, Western Cape Government and Gearhouse South Africa
Adams & Adams, ADreach, Commercial Producers Association, Continental
Outdoor Media, Google, Independent News, The Times, Unilever South Africa, Woolworths, and YFM
Additional Partners and Official Suppliers
AAA School of Advertising, Antalis South Africa, Aon South Africa, Art Board, Backsberg, BEE Online , Cape Town Partnership, Cape Town Tourism, Clive Stewart Photography, Egg Films, Facebook , First Source, Funk Productions, Gallo Images, Graphica, Grid Worldwide, Hertz, Hetzner, Ice Models, Lampost, Media Film Service, McCann, Meltwater, Multiprint Litho, Newsclip, Paygate, Positive Dialogue Communications, Rocketseed, Shimmy Beach Club, Sonovision Studios, South African Airways, Tiekie Barnard Consultancy, Tsogo Sun, Twenty Model Management, and Wesgro
Official Media Partners
Adlip.com, Bizcommunity.com, Brandwork Nigeria, Cape Town Tourism, Design Times, Film & Event Media, Ididthatad.com, News24.com and SourceEcreative
Issue 19 – Available now at Exclusive Books & CNA stores
Issue 20 – November 2014