In line with its brand-new theme, Home of Great Ideas, Africa’s largest décor, design and lifestyle exhibition – Decorex Joburg – promises this year’s visitors more take-home ideas than ever before.
Not only have the show’s exhibition halls been given a complete makeover, with a fresh new design ensuring even easier navigation, but 100% Design South Africa, which was launched to great success at last year’s event and is exclusive to the Joburg show, is guaranteed to be an even bigger draw card for an inspiration-hungry public.
“When we launched 100% Design South Africa alongside Decorex Joburg it was the first signal that Decorex SA was moving up a level,” says Sian Gutstadt, General Manager of Decorex SA and 100% Design SA. “The size and influence of the exhibition is certainly growing every year, demonstrating Decorex SA’s vision of offering members of the public a comprehensive showcase of both local and international décor and design.”
Decorex Joburg takes place over the Women’s Day long weekend, from 6th to 10th August, at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand. Here’s a look at what are sure to be the highlights of this year’s show:
- Now in its second year and providing a unique platform for leading local and international design names to present their latest work to a consumer audience, 100% Design South Africa offers a carefully curated mix of top-drawer products catering to the residential, hospitality and office interior décor and design industries. “The show not only provides a design journey of magnificent products, but also some inspiring features like ‘100% Colour’ and ‘100% Beautiful Things’, all of which keep the beauty of high-end design the uppermost focus,” says Programmes Director Cathy O’Clery. Look out, too, for the exhibit’s ‘Feature Designer’ – exciting architect and graphic artist Renée Rossouw.
- The newly revamped Home Décor Hall is where decorating junkies will get their interior design fix. Dedicated to all things décor, from lighting and furnishings to wall décor and accessories, this is also where they’ll be able to see the classic-contemporary and impeccably proportioned interiors that have made design maestro, Stephen Falcke, who is Patron of Decorex, world famous.
- Also in the Designer Spotlight is Slate Interiors’ Kirsten Di Clemente, who has been cherry-picked to show off her talents in a specially dedicated space. The decorating wizard is collaborating with Home Fabrics and will be using some of their most luxurious materials and wallpapers to flaunt her signature style.
- As usual, Decorex Joburg will be showcasing the latest interior and design trends in a series of décor-specific pavilions. As the ultimate walk-through design experience, the Private Property Trend House will feature the most current décor treatments for every room in the house, courtesy of Gauteng’s leading designers, while property experts will be on hand with advice for securing the home of one’s dreams. Beautiful Boudoirs, in the reconfigured Bedrooms and Bathrooms hall, meanwhile, will see a selection of interior experts proving just how dreamy a girl’s favourite room can be. And kitchen trends come under the spotlight in the Franke Make it Wonderful kitchen pavilion, where Joburg’s top kitchen designers will create four very unique kitchens, giving practical application to new directions in ergonomics, greening, space efficiency and more.
- Continuing the culinary theme, the perennially popular Dining & Entertaining Theatre, has, this year, added a new feature to the line-up of cooking demos: Look out for the series of interactive styling and table décor sessions in the dining room set adjacent to the theatre.
- Another major highlight is the Plascon stand, where the paint giant and exhibition co-sponsor will give visitors their very first look at the much-anticipated Plascon 2016 Colour Forecast. Without giving too much away, Anne Roselt, Plascon’s Colour Manager, explains that next year’s significant hues are “firmly rooted in the 21st century, with its pervasive sense of adventure, and underpinned by an innate yearning for social interaction.” In addition, the very latest paint techniques will also be revealed. “Expect gradated finishes, weightless ombrés, powdery effects, floor-to-ceiling all-over colour and carefully balanced light and dark tones,” hints Roselt.
- The serious business of planning, building, DIY and outdoor remodeling gets underway in Hall 5, where everything from blinds and shutters, hard and soft flooring and windows and doors to security, audio-video, home automation and electrics can be sourced. It is also here that the all-new Builders DIY Theatre is located – a unique interactive workshopping opportunity for those who lust after power tools!
- The Craft & Create pavilion functions as an artisanal marketplace of sorts, featuring smaller designers, crafters and start-up exhibitors who are just breaking into the world of décor and design. This is where visitors will find limited-edition, affordable pieces, and, because traders are drawn chiefly from Gauteng and its surrounds, this is likely to be a thoroughly local affair.
- Spotlight on Talent is a community-inspired showcase of the bright young rising stars at Inscape Design College. Here, three of the college’s most promising Gauteng-based students are given a coveted platform from which to sample their designs in front of a ‘real’ audience and thus gauge their market suitability.
- After its successful introduction last year, the Art Gallery in the Ballroom is back, with its vast collection of fine art and photography (including a bespoke Decorex framed installation).
- And new to this year’s show is the International Pavilion, where works and products from China, India and beyond will be on display, all adding a touch of global flair to South Africa’s biggest annual décor and design event.
- Finally, when a break is called for, Decorex Joburg’s delicious assortment of restaurants and cafés promises stylish relaxing and refuelling. Pretty in shades of pink, coral and crimson, the Graham Beck Wine Bar will be a sophisticated adults-only space where patrons can linger over a platter of cheese and salmon, accompanied by a choice of Graham Beck Wines or bubbly. The Grid Café, The Sprada Café and The Pink Doughnut, meanwhile, offer the opportunity to enjoy a delicious on-the-go cuppa and a quick bite. And Hall 6, ‘The Pantry’ of the show, is where ravenous shoppers will find the innovative Consol Gourmet Food Market, offering a choice of delicious meals served in cool Consol glassware.
Decorex Joburg details:
Dates: 6-10 August 2015
6th August: 1pm-6pm
7th to 10th August: 10am-6pm
Ticket prices: R100 for adults; R85 for pensioners and scholars; R15 for kids under 12
Trade-only preview morning: 6th August 10am-1pm
Trade focused days: 6th and 7th August
To register as trade or to find out more about the trade programme visit www.decorex.co.za
Where: Gallagher Convention Centre, Midrand
Ticket prices: R100 for adults, R85 for students/pensioners, R75 for trade/exhibitors
For more information visit www.decorex.co.za