A record 10 African premieres of surfing and adventure films will be screened in Cape Town this December as part of the Wavescape Festival from 23 November to 13 December at venues around Cape Town.
The festival, which is presented by Pick n Pay, has announced a bumper 2015 edition of its 12th annual festival, with 29 films – from short to feature length – officially selected.
An all-Africa night will be held this year, featuring films by local South African filmmakers, and Wavescape will also premiere Ocean Driven, starring local big wave surfer Chris Bertish, as well as No Regrets, the story of Ricky Basnett by Jason Hearn.
A common theme in the films for 2015, which include inspiring ocean stories from Chile to Norway and Iceland, explores the relationship between humans and nature where people are pushing the boundaries, from conquering icy cold water and mountain-high waves to exploring the most remote places on earth.
FILM FESTIVAL DATES
Clifton 4th Beach Film Night: 9pm, Saturday 5 December (free)
Indoor films: 8pm, 6-9 Dec, Brass Bell, Kalk Bay (R40, tickets at door)
Indoor films: 6pm and 8pm, 10-13 Dec, Labia Cinema, Cape Town (R45, tickets are available at www.wavescapefestival.com)
Other events taking place during the festival include the popular Artboard Project (artist-decorated surfboards exhibition and auction between 23 Nov and 1 Dec; Fish Fry surfboard market and fish braai contest on 28 November; Slide Night ocean talks evening on Tuesday 8 December; and Shortcuts Film Contest with winning films screened on 11 December.
Visit www.wavescapefestival.com or call Shani on 083 509-5106
- Short Cuts Film Contest: Sept 21 to Nov 30 on wavescape.co.za (free)
- ArtBoard Project: 23 Nov to 1 Dec, exhibition at Tiger’s Milk, Muizenberg (free)
- Fish Fry: 3pm, Saturday 28 November, Bluebird Garage, Muizenberg (tickets at door)
- Surfboard Charity Auction: 7pm, Tuesday 1 December at Tiger’s Milk (free)
- Slide Night: 7pm, Tuesday 8 December at Centre for the Book (www.wavescapefestival.com)
- TBC: Shortcuts Film Workshop (free to Adventure Filmmakers)
Exhibition (23rd Nov-1 Dec) and auction (7pm, Tues 1 Dec) at Tiger’s Milk, Muizenberg with Rob van Vuuren. Artists are Andrew Whitehouse, Asha Zero, Beezy Bailey, Brett Murray, Chris Brehem, Conn Bertish, Jake Aikman, One Love Studio, Sanell Aggenbach
Surfboard market, shapers expo /demo, surf art and craft, fish braai contest, DJ Cath, and more. Sat 28 November at Bluebird Garage, Muizenberg (tickets at door R20 or R50 per board to sell)
10 ocean gurus. 10 salty tales, 1 Night. Tuesday 8 December: Centre for the Book, Cape Town (Tickets R100. Book at www.wavescapefestival.com)
1. Yodit Ekland – African surf brand Bantu Wax founder
2. Jean Tresfon – Marine photographer and conservation activist
3. Cobus Joubert – WaWa wooden craft brand founder
4. Greg Bertish – Founder of The Little Optimist children’s hospital charity
5. Dr Sandy Thomalla – Ocean scientist on role of Southern Ocean in climate change
6. Katja Rockstroh – Two Oceans Aquarium project to save turtles from plastic
7. David Hurwitz – Veteran boat operator on Killer Whales: The Wolves of False Bay
8. Otto Whitehead – Adventurer and expert on concept of biophilia
9. Grant Spooner – Big wave safety co-ordinator and skipper
10 Caleb Swanepoel – Shark bite survivor
SHORT CUTS FILM CONTEST
Adventure films entered from 21 Sept to 30 Nov on www.wavescape.co.za, with winners screened 11 December. Includes Adventure Film Workshop.
Wavescape is offering designers the chance to show off their epic salty skills by creating a one-of-a-kind design with a Surf or Ocean theme. The winner receives full entry to all the Festival’s events and other prizes. Closing date 15 November. More info: http://wavescapefestival.com