Brad Reilly, ECD at Net#work BBDO says that the Loeries this past weekend proved that South African agencies are starting to get it right when it comes to advertising across the continent. “Campaigns like those from Channel O, Nandos, Tusker and Ster Kinekor make being a creative in Africa something to be proud of,” says Reilly.
“As an agency, producing African solutions to African challenges – especially in the world of digital and mobile, is something we’ve worked really hard to achieve. We’re exceptionally proud of the Tusker Lager Grand Prix win in the Digital and Interactive Mobile category this past weekend.” Net#work BBDO was the only agency to snatch 2 Grand Prix awards at Africa’s premier creative awards.
Speaking about the second GrandPrix win for Chicken Licken’s “Kung Fu” in the TV, Film & Video category Reilly says that it’s an example of work that is African, without being obvious or clichéd. “It taps directly into the insight that a lot of South African kids, particularly in the townships, grew up watching Kung-Fu films and they took on an unlikely cult status – marry that with a local hero and you’ve got a recipe for a highly surprising, but highly relevant idea that transcends the obvious.”
“Being local and relevant is not about simply holding up a mirror, it’s about finding fresh insight and then using that to create something new; something that ignites people’s imaginations and that resonates because it is rooted in truth,” says Reilly.
Following this weekend’s awards, BBDO boasts an unprecedented 19 Grand-Prix Loeries in a total of 22 years. In total, the agency group took 26 awards: 4 Gold, 3 Silver, 7 Bronze and 10 Craft Certificates.
Chief Creative Officer for BBDO South Africa, Mike Schalit says, “It’s incredibly gratifying that BBDO agencies across the continent have been so well awarded this year. In fact, BBDO Africa took its first Grand Prix for the Tusker work done in partnership with BBDO Mediaedge in Kenya.”
Net#work MD Gau Narayanan says that it’s fantastic to see the category in which the Tusker Grand Prix specifically was won. “Taking home the highest honour in a category that is so hotly contested amongst agencies is brilliant. The future, especially in Africa, will be led by mobile and digital as the platforms of choice – and six of our awards speak directly to this capability.”
- Grand Prix Chicken Licken’s “Kung Fu” TV, Film & Video
- Grand Prix Tusker Lager ‘Team Kenya’ in the category ‘DIGITAL& INTERACTIVE: MOBILE ADVERTISING’
- Gold Chicken Licken’s “Kung Fu” TV, Film & Video
- Gold Tusker Lager ‘Team Kenya’ in the category ‘DIGITAL& INTERACTIVE: MOBILE ADVERTISING’
- Craft Gold Chicken Licken “Kung Fu” in TV, Film & Video – Production design
- Craft Gold Chicken Licken “Kung Fu” in TV, Film & Video – Direction
- Campaign Silver Chicken Licken “Kung Fu” in the category Digital Integrated Campaign
- Silver Tusker Lager Team Kenya in category Media innovation
- Silver Three ships whisky “The masters Collection” DIGITAL & INTERACTIVE COMMUNICATION. (140 BBDO)
- Bronze Coronation in category Digital & Interactive – Microsite
- Bronze Coronation “Sirens & Sacrifice” in TV, Film & Video
- Bronze Guinness African Special “Alive Inside” in TV, Film & Video
- Bronze Coronation “Money Maker” in TV, Film & Video
- Bronze Coronation “Hard Work Stories” in TV, Film & Video
- Campaign Bronze Chicken Licken “Kung Fu” in Integrated Campaign
- Bronze Mercedes-Benz “Virtual reality experience” in Service design