The entries are officially open for the 2013 Loeries. Submit your work by 15 April and get 10% off your entry fee. The final deadline for entries is 31 May and agencies or marketers throughout Africa and the Middle East can enter their work.
With the opening of the entries also comes the launch of the Loeries revamped website, designed by Aqua Online, and new brand identity, developed by Grid Worldwide Branding. Loeries CEO, Andrew Human says, “This fresh new look distinctly communicates the Loeries brand growth and more clearly represents the core message of the Loeries, that ‘Creativity Adds’.”
The Loeries aim to help marketers, agencies and consumers appreciate the value of ideas and fresh thinking – and build creative business leaders for the future. The idea behind “Creativity Adds” is that creativity and innovation have the ability to breathe life into an idea; to connect, to educate, to empower, to enhance, to inspire and even to transcend. Human continues, “The role of the Loeries is to show the value of creativity to our brands and our economy. The awards are a vehicle to promote the region and our country, with all that it offers – to showcase not only our industry, but our brands and the quality of our services.”
WHAT’S NEW THIS YEAR:
- Effective Creativity Award – This category has been introduced to recognise the link between innovation and business success. To be eligible to enter this new category, a campaign must have won a Loerie in the past two years. That means winners from 2012 and 2011 are eligible, including Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Grand Prix.
- New Voice Award Crafts – New categories specifically for non-English radio communication have been introduced for Writing and Performance Crafts. Non-English radio entries that have flighted may be entered in the New Voice Award category or the main Radio category, but not in both (as was allowed in previous years).
- A new Digital Craft category has been added for Best use of Technology.
New digital upload system:
The Loeries new digital upload system, created in partnership with Sonovision Studios, will allow entrants to upload all media – images, videos and audio files – directly to their individual entries via the online entry system, simplifying the overall process.
New – entries from Turkey are now eligible!
The eligibility period for entries is 1 June 2012 to 31 May 2013. Work must be produced by companies from Africa and the Middle East, including island states off the African coast (e.g. Mauritius, Madagascar, Seychelles, etc.). From this year, entries from Turkey are also eligible. Work that has been produced for international clients is eligible – so a company in Kenya producing work for a German market may enter their work.
International crafts may be entered, as long as the person nominated for the award is from the eligible region. Get full eligibility criteria and rules at loeries.com.
Save 10% on your entry fee when you submit your work by 15 April! The final entry deadline is 31 May. Late entries will be subject to a 10% penalty fee. All entries should be completed and submitted online at loeries.com. R30 from every entry will go towards the Creative Future scholarship, enabling talented learners from a disadvantaged background to study brand communication.
Special Awards in 2013!
- ADreach Street Pole Award – WIN A TRIP TO CANNES: The overall winner of the ADreach Street Pole category will automatically be entered into the outdoor category at the Cannes Lions Festival. In addition, the winner gets a trip for two to attend the event in Cannes. NOTE: Street-pole entries may have flighted on any street-pole media and the category is NOT restricted to ads that have only flighted on ADreach poles.
Plus, WIN A FREE LOERIE ENTRY and ROCKSTAR package!
If you have flighted (or will be flighting) a street-pole campaign with ADreach between 1 June 2012 – 31 May 2013, you could be one of the 5 campaigns selected to receive a FREE ENTRY into the 2013 Loeries. Plus one of these lucky five will be selected to win a Loeries Rockstar ticket package for Loeries Creative Week Cape Town (accommodation and travel not included).
- ADreach Integrated Campaign Award – WIN R100,000 WORTH OF MEDIA SPACE: The winning brand will receive R100,000 worth of street-pole media space with ADreach.
- Adams & Adams Young Creatives Award – WIN A TRIP TO CANNES: Recognising outstanding achievement by talented individuals at the beginning of their careers (27 or under), working in any area of brand communication. Entry is free and the award includes a Gold Loerie and trip to the Cannes Lions Festival.
- Antalis Creative Use of Paper Award – WIN TWO APPLE IPADS: All paper-based entries in the Communication Design category are automatically eligible for this award. The winner receives a Gold Loerie and two Apple iPads for the creative team.
- The Times Newspaper Award – WIN A SPECIAL PRIZE: The overall winner of the Newspaper category will receive a special prize.
- New Voice Award – WIN A SPECIAL PRIZE: The aim of this award is to promote the production of non-English radio advertising. Only ads in one of South Africa’s official languages can be entered. Unlike all other categories, entries can be pro-active and do not need to have flighted. NOTE: Non-English radio entries that have flighted may be entered in the New Voice category OR the main Radio category, but not in both.
Loeries® Creative Week™ Cape Town
Loeries® Creative Week™ has become an annual creative hub in the city of Cape Town, where over 4000 members of the brand communication industry can not only meet and network, but where they can be inspired and educated by the power of creative communication.
The week will culminate in two awards evenings on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 September, where delegates will discover the most innovative concepts from Africa and the Middle East across Radio, Design, Media, PR, Digital, Direct, Events, Print, Outdoor, TV, Film & Video and Integrated Campaigns.
Events will kick off at Cape Town’s City Hall on Monday 16 September with the Loeries judging week. Finalists for each category will be announced at the end of each day. The judging will round off with the International Seminar of Creativity, also to be held at City Hall.
Other events will include the Egg Films Judges Wrap Party, Student Portfolio Day, Media Brunch, and The Official Party. Go to loeries.com for more information.
The major sponsors of the 2013 Loeries are The City of Cape Town, Western Cape Government, Gearhouse South Africa
Additional Sponsors and Official Suppliers
AAA School of Advertising, Adams & Adams Attorneys, ADreach, Antalis South Africa, Aon South Africa, Aqua Online, Backsberg, Barron, BEE Online, Cape Town Partnership, Cape Town Tourism, Cinemark, Commercial Producers Association, Egg Films, Funk Productions, Gallo Images, Google, Graphica, GreaterCapital, Greensky, Grid Worldwide, Hetzner, Mail & Guardian, Media Film Service, Newsclip, Paygate, Rocketseed, SABC, Skyrove, Sonovision, TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg, Tequila\Johannesburg, The Rebellion, The Times, Tsogo Sun, Ultra Litho, Wesgro, Woolworths
Important Loerie dates to diarise in 2013:
Loeries Exhibition Venues
CityVarsity, Cape Town 2 – 5 April
Vega, Johannesburg 15 – 19 April
OpenWindow School of Visual Communication, PTA 13 – 18 May
Stellenbosch Academy of Design & Photography 28 – 31 May
Markex, Sandton 11 – 13 June
Cinema Nouveau, Rosebank 15 – 19 July
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, PE 5 – 14 August
Tshwane University of Technology, Pretoria 26 – 30 August
Cinema Nouveau, V&A Waterfront 16 – 21 September
Oliewenhuis Museum, Bloemfontein 7 – 11 October
Important Loerie dates to diarise:
Migrate magazine – issue 16
Available at Exclusive Books & CNA stores
Call for Entries 2013: Now open!
Early bird deadline: 15 April (save 10%)
Entry Deadline: 31 May
Migrate magazine – issue 17 May 2013
Creative Week Cape Town 16 – 22 September 2013:
Judging Week at City Hall: 16 – 19 September
Loeries Seminar at City Hall: 20 September
The 35th Annual Loerie Awards at the CTICC: 21 & 22 September
Migrate magazine – issue 18 November 2013
For more information go to www.loeries.com