Pat on Brands, a digital media platform, has announced the winners of its inaugural awards initiative, the Top 16 Youth-Owned Brands Awards (YOBA). The awards are sponsored by Sakhumnotho Group Holdings. The winners were announced on Wednesday, 15 June — a day before commemorating the Thursday, 16 June Soweto Students Uprising.
The main aim of YOBA is to recognise the excellence, innovation and hard work of South African youth-owned brands across 16 categories. The winner were revealed and celebrated under the theme ‘Real Recognises Real’ at The Capital: On the Park in Sandton.
More than 500 entrepreneurs, marketers, academics and celebrities gathered at the event to celebrate and support South African youth-owned brands, says the awards.
“Any nation that doesn’t invest in its own youth is sabotaging its future. At Sakhumnotho Group Holdings, young people are at the heart of what we do. With a staff complement that averages the age of 34, we’re the true definition of an organisation that believes in young leadership,”
– Mosa Ntwampe, group head of marketing and corporate communication at Sakhumnotho Group Holdings.
The youth of 1976 was fighting a political fight and the youth of today is fighting an economic one. They are the drivers of economic growth and job creation in South Africa. It is for these reasons that youth empowerment and involvement are important to build a stronger economy.
The top 16 YOBA received 482 awards nominations in 16 different categories. Each category had four nominated brands and only one brand with more votes was titled the ‘top brand’ in the respective categories.
A panel of judges consisting of industry award-winners, marketers, thought leaders and academics, reviewed each entry and evaluated them based on a measurable result to determine the strongest front runner of each category.
TSHEPO JEANS won the Overall Top Brand category, which was sponsored by Sakhumnotho Group Holdings and the Top Apparel Brand category award.
The category winners for the inaugural Top 16 Youth-Owned Brands Awards in 2022 are as follows:
- Overall Top Brand (sponsored by Sakhumnotho) — TSHEPO JEANS
- Top Travel & Tourism Brand — Book Ibhoni
- Top NPOs & Charity Brands — Women Leaders South Africa
- Top Media Brand — Podcast and Chill with MacG
- Top Food Brand (sponsored by Nik Naks) — Solo Restaurant
- Top Beverage Brand (sponsored by Black Crown Gin & Tonic) — Siwela Wines
- Top Footwear Brand — Bathu
- Top Apparel Brand — TSHEPO JEANS
- Top Accessories Brand — Ziba Styles
- Top Personality and Influencer — Pamela Mtanga
- Top Homeware Brand — Maison Space
- Top Beauty Brand — Hermosa Flor Cosmetics
- Top Agriculture Brand — Mater Pluviam Holdings
- Top Education Brand — Elevate Africa
- Top Services Brand — Delivery Ka Speed
- Top Technology Brand (sponsored by MTN Pulse) — Green Scooter.
The awards have congratulated all its winners for building amazing brands that build the South African economy.